Monday, April 11, 2011

Mind boggling and constant conversions


Let me just say, Wow. I feel like my brain is in Mathematic overhaul right now. I can’t really seem to grasp the thinking bit in a new chart. So, I am constantly working the conversions. Talk about a headache. Here are some examples:

Time Difference
UAE is 11 Hours ahead of California
UAE is 10 Hours ahead of New Mexico
I calculate this everyday for every friend I have all over the World in different time zones.


Speed: KPH to MPH
Multiply MPH by 1.6 KPH

Money: AED to USD
Multiply 3.65 by 1USD
Or in the case of prices all being in AED, Divide AED by 3.65

Temperature: C to Fahrenheit
Fahrenheit 32 = 0 C
*(very boring) No matter which direction you want to covert, Fahrenheit to Celsius or Celsius to Fahrenheit, always first add 40 to the number. Next, multiply by 5/9 or 9/5 just like the first method. Then, always subtract out the 40 you just added to yield the final result. To remember whether to use 5/9 or 9/5 when converting from Fahrenheit to Celsius or Celsius to Fahrenheit, just simply remember, F (for Fahrenheit) begins with the same letter as Fraction. 5/9 is always a Fraction; while 9/5 is also a fraction, in this form, it is Clearly a whole number plus a fraction (1 and 4/5). Thus, if you want to convert Fahrenheit (F) to Celsius (C), then use the Fraction 5/9; Celsius (C) to Fahrenheit (F), use the other, 9/5, which is Clearly not just a fraction.

So, in summary:

A very hot day in Dubai is anything over: 100 Fahrenheit or 38 Celsius


A great temp inside our home for Thermastats= 78 Fahrenheit or 26 Celsius


Electrical Outlets
I actually haven’t figured this out yet. But, it is some serious business;)
So far, I have caught a snack bag of popcorn on fire in the Microwave (Turbo speed, burned in 2.5minutes), Dave has blown up countless step-down converters for pulling too much voltage/wattage (which is another conversion)

Everything is calculated differently. No inches here for measuring furniture, it is in Centimeters… Meters and Kilometers for distance, no Miles. No more ounces for beverage, it is ml.


**I like to think of myself as pretty bright but, as of late I have been feeling kind of dense and have actually entertained the idea of sitting in on some of Sienna’s classroom.

2 comments:

  1. For the electrical, here's what's working for me. *I'm not sure of the long term effects but nothing has currently smoked/burned up or blown up.

    For stuff that uses 115v stateside voltage, you do need a converter (a step-up/step-down transformer, the black box looking things). Once you have the converter, since there is only one outlet on the converter, you need to buy a normal(US) multi-outlet power strip. There are different sizes of converters as far as physical size and amperage. For high amperage draw items like a big screen TV you may want to use a 1500a or 1000a converter. (That's if you have a stateside TV) For smaller items like shavers, and battery chargers for your camera, then a 750 would be fine. I haven't seen anything smaller than a 750, but if there was a 500 out there, I'm sure that would be fine. For my iPhone, i just plug it straight into the outlet only using an outlet adapter(for the prongs). For my laptop, I do the same thing of just using an outlet adapter. However, for the laptop I do notice that the little black power converter on my laptop charging cord(the black square/rectange that is inline on your cord) heats up pretty quick and hot. So in order to preserve the electrical components in that coverter, I now plug it into the outlet strip with 115v.

    So you should be fine for small stuff like the kids toys using a converter, into a stip, for recharge. For your magical Apple Macbook, I'm sure it just recharges from the elctrons floating in the air and off your clothes and body; or you can do the same thing Dave does with his. Again, I'm not a smart guy or an electrical genius, but I know how to get things done and nothings on fire and no ones dead, yet. Not too sure about how much amperage draw a blow dryer might have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot one of my most precious Worldy possessions: my Rainbow vacuum. I know now that it will not run on Dave's idea of a 500v Step down converter (especially when he is wrong about the 500V, it was actually a 300v). It smoked and will never work again. It is been retired. We just purchased a 3000v Converter. That is the biggest one we can find. I wish for a 5000v one, maybe you can bring one with when you come visit ;)

    There is an endless supply of 300v and 500v but, the big ones we have to hunt for.

    The vacuum draws 1500v, the blow dryer 750v.

    There is also a conversions chart for watts to Volts... of course.

    ReplyDelete